FARM CLUB BADGES | THE CULTIVATOR
May 19th, 2020
To earn THE CULTIVATOR:
- You should be able to identify and pull weeds to keep your crops happy and healthy.
- Remember, a “weed” is any plant that is growing where you don’t want it to grow (i.e. too close to crops, inviting disease and stealing nutrients).
- When pulling weeds, be sure to remove and dispose of the entire weed, (i.e. roots, seeds) to keep them from returning.
- You should be able to maintain a happy and healthy environment for your crops by removing dead or infected leaves to keep pests and disease away.
- Remove the bottom leaves of your crops to promote more air flow between them.
- You should be able to prepare the soil for planting by weeding the area, aerating the soil, adding compost (if needed), and leveling the soil.