To earn KNIFE WHIZ:
- You should be able to distinguish between different types of knives and their purpose (i.e. chef, paring, serrated).
- You should be able to safely and effectively hold a knife to make various cuts.
- To hold your knife, it helps to use your index finger and thumb to grip the knife right in front of the handle to keep it steady. Remember, do what feels most comfortable for you — this will ultimately allow you to make your cuts in the safest manner.
- To hold the food, use the “bear claw” technique in order to keep your fingertips tucked and the food secure. Remember, food will be much easier and safer to cut if you use a flat surface by slightly trimming one side.
To earn TOOL SAFETY HERO:
- You should be able to handle hot kitchen instruments safely and successfully.
- You should be able to use various kitchen tools safely and successfully (i.e. peelers, graters, can openers, etc.)
Here are a few recipes you can use to practice:
Don’t forget to download the coloring pages for Knife Whiz & Tool Safety Hero once you earn the badges!