Under the supervision of the Director of Finance and Administration, the Office and Operations Coordinator manages the Center for Food Education’s administrative tasks and implements systems that align work across departments to support the success of the organization. This work requires a deep understanding of the mission and inner workings of Jones Valley Teaching Farm and a high degree of professionalism, as well as strong management, organizational, and communication skills. A successful candidate must be capable of focusing on the day-to-day while also projecting and planning for the future.
Jones Valley Teaching Farm
Jones Valley Teaching Farm (JVTF) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) located in Birmingham, Alabama.
In 2012, JVTF launched Good School Food (GSF), our in-school food-based education model, in a pre-K-5 Birmingham City School. We have since expanded this program to six partner schools, including five in one distinct pre-K-12 feeder pattern in the Woodlawn community.
Good School Food is designed to improve education and health outcomes for students. We achieve this by building out extensive Teaching Farms on school campuses, and providing our partner schools with full-time Instructors who collaborate with teachers to develop and deliver programs and curricula that align food and nutrition concepts with learning goals in math, science, social studies, engineering, and language arts.
- Basic processes and procedures: Consistently shows up prepared and on time and is available in person, on the phone and through email. Maintains a professionalism when communicating and follows set channels of communication across the organization. Follows protocols outlined in the policy guidelines/handbook. Adheres to school system rules, administrative procedures, local board policies, and state and federal rules and regulations that are a regular part of a public school system.
- Advocate: Seeks to understand the organization’s core purpose and develops a deep understanding for it. Actively communicates and supports this purpose. Maintains effective relationships with external stakeholders, including school staff, parents, community members and other constituents.
- Environment: Creates and maintains a positive collaborative environment around them that is supportive and respectful of others and their ideas. Is an effective team player. Actively participate in Jones Valley Teaching Farm staff meetings and professional development. Effectively communicates the school activities to colleagues in order to be better supported in their role.
- Improvement and Refinement: Is committed to the improvement and refinement of our work.
- Welcome guests at the Center for Food Education
- Create and implement systems that support guest experiences
- Maintain reception area and all common areas in a clean and tidy manner at all times
- Take inventory of supplies and restock as needed
- Answer and direct phone calls appropriately
- Answer emails and direct requests for multiple inboxes
- Schedule and manage calendars across multiple sites and departments
- Executive assistant duties as needed
- Monitor and report maintenance issues as needed
- Janitorial contractor scheduling and coordination
- Mail & Order collection and distribution
- Track order expenses and receipts
- Printing system management
- Technology troubleshooting
- AV Troubleshooting
- Assist in the coordination of logistics for organization events, including all-hands meetings, board meetings, events, etc.
- Hosts or lead tours of the Center for Food Education for community partners
- Lead in facility opening and closing
Please note this job description is not designed to provide a comprehensive list of all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Job responsibilities may change at any time and without prior notice. New job responsibilities may be added as needed.
What We Look For
- Believers in the power of education and food
- Commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- A positive and constructive attitude
- Self-direction and self-motivation
- An openness and drive for learning, assessing and improving your work, and the ability to hear, reflect upon and implement feedback
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, parents, and schools
- Ability to organize, prioritize, manage and carry out duties efficiently and within established timeframes
- Undergraduate degree in a related field preferred
- A minimum of 1-3 years experience teaching youth
- Demonstrated experience or interest in lesson and curriculum development
- Demonstrated interest in organic and sustainable growing practices
- Criminal background check and a valid driver’s license required
Duration and Compensation
This is a year-round, full-time position with a 3-month probation period. Competitive compensation package includes:
- 403(B) with matching
- Paid Health and Dental benefits
- 22 Days of Paid Time Off at the onset of employment
- Generous maternity and paternity leave
- JVTF values work-life balance and strives to create a culture where this principle is supported.
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé with “Jones Valley Teaching Farm Office & Operations Coordinator” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. In this cover letter, please highlight previous relevant experience(s). Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled. No phone calls or drop-ins, please.