Director of Growth and Strategy
Jones Valley Teaching Farm’s Director of Growth and Strategy works closely with the Executive Director on all aspects of fundraising and event planning while building and strengthening relationships with our school and community partners.
Jones Valley Teaching Farm
Jones Valley Teaching Farm (JVTF) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) located in Birmingham, Alabama. In 2012, we launched Good School Food (GSF), our food-based education model rooted in academic standards. Through hands-on, experiential lessons at our Teaching Farms, pre-K–12 students use food, farming, and the culinary arts as a foundation for academic exploration. We work with seven partner schools in the Birmingham City School system, including five schools in one distinct pre-K-12 feeder pattern in the Woodlawn community.
Good School Food is designed to improve education and health outcomes for students. We achieve this by building out extensive Teaching Farms on school campuses, and providing our partner schools with full-time Instructors who collaborate with teachers to develop and deliver programs and curricula that align food and nutrition concepts with learning goals in math, science, social studies, engineering, and language arts.
A successful Director of Growth and Strategy must possess extraordinary drive, flexibility, intuitiveness, and organizational skills. They must enjoy collaboration with an energetic, high performing team and be comfortable leading people within the organization. They must be confident in their abilities to play a major role in building a strong financial and community support base to sustain our work.
A Director of Growth and Strategy will also collaborate with Jones Valley Teaching Farm’s management team to ensure that our work is relevant, meaningful and effective (and effectively measured) within each school community we work in. They will provide overall leadership in communicating Jones Valley Teaching Farm’s mission and methods to our funding and community partners, and they will work directly with the executive director to ensure that our financial growth runs parallel to our program + staff growth.
- Overseeing fundraising efforts to support Jones Valley Teaching Farm’s programs
- Managing media and communications to promote Jones Valley Teaching Farm
- Work directly with the executive director to meet annual + multi-year development and funding goals and ensure that these goals run parallel to program + growth
- Work directly with the executive director to identify and then establish strategic alliances/partnerships that will help the organization secure federal and national funding
- Work directly with the executive director to manage relationships at the City of Birmingham and in Birmingham City Schools
- Work directly with the executive director to write and manage grant proposals and reports (local and national)
- Collaborate with the executive director to manage donor relationships with corporations, foundations, and individuals in Birmingham
- Collaborate with the executive director to design, implement, and coordinate annual fundraising events like Gather and Twilight Supper
- Speak and represent JVTF in front of various audiences—including current donors, potential donors, government agencies, community meetings, etc.
- Ensure timely and accurate report deliveries to funders
- Research donor relation programs at local, state, and federal levels
- Work with executive director on feasibility study and potential capital campaign
- Supervising, setting goals with and for, and reviewing the performance of development and communications department staff and teaching farm fellow
- Bachelor’s degree required
- At least 8+ years professional experience
- Foundation relationships and grant writing experience
- Proven track record of raising funds from diverse sources, including major gifts from individuals, foundations, corporations, and government agencies
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail
- Committed to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
- Demonstrated commitment to accountability, measuring outcomes, and a results-oriented culture
- Proficiency in donor software management
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Excellent written, interpersonal, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people
- Positive attitude and a commitment to a culture of change
- Resourcefulness, creativity, and strong problem-solving skills
- Growth: Through this job, you will have an immediate platform for fast and thoughtful professional and personal growth.
- Good Food: You have free access to fresh, organic produce all year long and so does your family.
- A competitive salary
- A comprehensive, individual healthcare plan
- An opportunity to enroll in a Simple IRA retirement plan with an employer match.
- ** annual reviews of performance + compensation
If interested in applying, please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.