Jones Valley Teaching Farm
Office Coordinator/Executive Assistant
Jones Valley Teaching Farm
Jones Valley Teaching Farm (JVTF) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) located in Birmingham, Alabama. We design innovative, hands-on food education programs that improve student learning and increase student access to healthy food. Through our urban teaching farms and partnerships with schools, more than 17,000 students have been educated through our programs over the last four years.
In 2012, JVTF launched Good School Food (GSF), our in-school Pre-K—12 food education model in seven Birmingham City Schools. Good School Food is designed to improve education and health outcomes for students. We achieve this by building out extensive teaching farms, we call them Farm Labs, on school campuses and providing our partner schools with full-time instructors who collaborate with teachers to develop and deliver programs and curricula that align food and nutrition concepts with learning goals in math, science, social studies, engineering, and language arts.
The Office Coordinator/Executive Assistant will help streamline organizational efficiency by performing ongoing administrative tasks.
These tasks include:
– Generating, printing and mailing letters
– Entering expense reports
– Tracking and ordering office, education, and farm supplies
– Tracking, ordering, and purchasing nutrition education supplies
– Ordering, tracking, and copying materials for Good School Food Instructors and Education Team
– Assisting in all aspects of event logistics
– Working with vendors
– Maintaining social media/website updates
– Assisting management team with administrative tasks
– Assisting Executive Director with grants reports, management, and submissions
– Assisting in volunteer coordination
– Answering emails and phone calls
– Coordinating staff meetings, board meetings, and partner meetings
– Maintaining relationships with JVTF staff, school staff, students, parents, community members and JVTF affiliates
– Other duties as assigned
– High degree of computer proficiency, including experience with google docs, word, and excel
– Exceptional relationship building skills
– Excellent communication skills (public speaking, recruiting, interacting with partners from other non-profits, email and phone communication)
– Successful project management skills
– Ability to organize and prioritize short and long term tasks and projects
– Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with a small staff
– Ability to positively interact with volunteers, interns, youth, and general public
– Must be able to successfully manage multiple, high priority tasks in a fast-paced environment
Major Functions and Accountability
– Reports to Executive Director
– Coordinates with staff to fulfill administrative tasks for the everyday efficiency of the organization
What We Look For
– Believers in the power of education and food
– Undergraduate degree in related field preferred
– Minimum 5 years professional experience
– A positive and constructive attitude, self-direction, self-motivation
– A willingness to innovate and contribute to the growth and evolution of Jones Valley Teaching Farm as an organization
– Criminal background check and a valid driver’s license required
– Growth: This is a true opportunity for working at a fast-growing nonprofit with ambitious goals.
– Good Food: We have a robust and productive urban farm and our staff has access to fresh organic produce all year long.
– Culture: You have an opportunity to work alongside farmers, long-time educators, teachers, designers, and curriculum specialists.
Duration and Compensation
The Office Coordinator/Executive Assistant position is a full-time position. Salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé with “Office Coordinator/Executive Assistant” in the subject line to jobs(at)jvtf.org. In your cover letter, please highlight previous relevant experience(s). Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls or drop-ins, please.